The Dormition of Virgin Mary on August 15, the so-called Easter of summer, is a day-hymn to Virgin Mary, the mother of all Christians.
The greatest pilgrimage is held at the on the island of Tinos, at the major Marian shrine in Greece, the church of Evangelistria.
The complex of church and monastery is built around a miraculous icon which according to tradition was found after the Virgin appeared to the nun Pelagia and revealed to her the place where the icon was buried. The icon is widely believed to be the source of numerous miracles.
The icon was found on the very first days after the creation of the modern Greek State and was declared the patron saint of the Greek nation. The church, built in the Renaissance style, was inaugurated in 1830 and since then it constitutes the major Christian pilgrimage in Greece, equal to what is Lourdes in France or Fatima in Portugal.
- Emma Thompson wants to save Classical Greek in primary school
- Lighting of Olympic flame for Winter Olympics 'PyeongChang 2018' at ancient Olympia
- GNTO video "Greece - A 365-Day Destination" to compete in UNWTO contest
- At least 200 Chinese companies to participate in 82nd Thessaloniki International Fair
- Gold Medal for the Greek National Junior Water Polo Team
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Evzones guards stand proud at Victorian Parliament in Australia
- EU condemns Turkey's illegal actions in Aegean
- Handelsblatt: Merkel intervenes for the release of two Greek soldiers from Turkish prison
- Greek film to be screened at NYC Independent Film Festival
- Vanessa-Mae the voice for the Strays of Greece