A proposal by main opposition New Democracy (ND) to convene a special parliamentary committee to "investigate the involvement of National Defence Minister Panos Kammenos and other officials in an outstanding court case" fell short of the necessary votes late on Monday.
The debate in parliament concerned his telephone conversations with a convict, who is serving a life sentence for his involvement in a major heroin smuggling operation.
ND's proposal was rejected with 151 votes of the ruling coalition.
A total of 122 opposition deputies voted for the ND proposal, except for Union of Centrists MPs, who were absent.
Kammenos, leader of the ANEL party, did not participate in the vote, while ruling SYRIZA deputy Christoforos Papadopoulos was absent.
Latest from Guest
- Registrations for the 2nd Messinia Pro-Am continue until January 19th
- Συνάντηση Κορυφής στη Νέα Υόρκη για την Ελληνική Οικονομία και τις Επενδύσεις - 19ο Ετήσιο Capital Link Invest in Greece Forum
- Ώρα του Θρύλου: Πρεμιέρα με Τάκη Τσουκαλά και Άκη Βαρδαλάκη
- Archdiocese releases information on its financial situation
- Curtain opens for “Santorini Experience”