Greek tourism representatives confirmed that Easter domestic travels are above average, this season.
Hotel rates remain the same as 2013, even though Greek Orthodox Easter arrives earlier this year. Santorini Local Hotelier's Union President Manolis Karamolegos stated that bookings for the island are increasing: "...both by Greeks and foreign tourists". He added that additional international plane arrivals and an added weekly Aegean Airlines flight from Athens to Santorini, has definitely boosted tourism.
Corfu, Naxos, Crete and other island officials have experienced the same travel trends this Easter. Rhodes bookings have increased significantly since last year. Crete Local Hotelier's Union President Manolis Yiannoulis commented, "All hotels in the city of Hania have opened ahead of Easter", in anticipation of receiving more visitors, with the island's recent increase in international flights.
- Did early humans migrate to Greek islands 200.000 years ago?
- 20,000 refugees to be transferred from Greek islands to the mainland by end-year
- Tourism Minister: Tourism industry needs positive impact of sustainable tourism
- Three Greek islands among 5 best in the world: Readers’ Choice Awards 2019 Conde Nast Traveler
- 832 asylum seekers registered at Greek islands in less than 48 hours