Events in Thessaloniki celebrating its patron saint St. Demetrios, its liberation and the 28 October national holiday will open on Friday in the northern Greek city.
Greek President Prokopios Pavlopoulos and visiting Italian President Sergio Mattarella will observe the military parade at Megalou Alexandrou avenue at 11:00 on Sunday.
After the end of the military parade, Pavlopoulos and Matarrella will visit the island of Cephalonia to pay tribute to the fallen Italian soldiers of Acqui Division and the Greeks who died in the National Resistance, at the respective monuments.
- SYRIZA EP candidate resigns after dead mother’s pension row
- Greek tourism flagging in 2019
- The Hellenic Coast Guard forbids its members to sing any military songs or marches
- Armenian Committee: Greek Ministries caved in to Turkish pressure banning event over Nagorno-Karabakh Republic
- Explosion at power plant causes blackout in Heraklion and Rethymnon