A 27-year-old Iraqi man, allegedly an Islamic State (ISIS) member was arrested by Greek police in Athens, authorities announced on Thursday, after Greek security forces implemented a pending arrest warrant issued by German authorities.
The Iraqi national, who was arrested 15 days ago, was traced by his mobile phone and is currently held in Korydallos prison, awaiting extradition to Germany.
According to reports in the German media, the suspect is facing charges of war crimes in Germany, while his German wife is currently on trial, accused of neglecting a 5-year-old Yazidi girl who died of thirst.
The 27-year-old is also accused by a German court of ‘purchasing’ the little Yazidi girl and her mother, who was being held hostage, along with his current wife, while living in Mosul, Iraq in 2015.
- Cost for the new railway line Thessaloniki-Kavala-Xanthi at 1.25bn euros
- Extraordinary Greek Defence council meeting ends amid Turkish provocations in Cyprus
- Eurobank concludes acquisition of Piraeus Bank's subsidiary in Bulgaria
- Gennimata: Turkey's clear and unequivocal condemnation by European Council
- Crossing the Aegean with kayaks: From Sounio to Santorini
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Λευκωσία: Επίθεση κατά της Κύπρου η τουρκική δραστηριότητα στην ΑΟΖ
- Γεωργιάδης: Ντροπή η σύγκλιση του ΚΥΣΕΑ για προεκλογικούς λόγους
- «Ηλεκτρικές» καταιγίδες: Πάνω από 10.000 κεραυνοί έπεσαν σε 12 ώρες
- Κυπριακή ΑΟΖ: Σε κυρώσεις από την ΕΕ στην Τουρκία προσβλέπουν Αθήνα- Λευκωσία
- Κύπρος: «Θαλάσσια εισβολή» οι ενέργειες της Τουρκίας