Former tourism minister Angela Gerekou, a one-time deputy with the PASOK party and later a Parliament deputy candidate with New Democracy (ND), has been appointed as the president of the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO), according to Tourism Minister Haris Theoharis.
Τhe previous GNTO president, Charalambos Karimalis, a long-time cadre and MP candidate with leftist SYRIZA party who was appointed in 2017, resigned over what he called "pro-junta" statements by the newly appointed tourism ministry general secretary, with "junta" in this case being the military dictatorship in Greece between 1967-1974.
Before politics Gerekou appeared in several films and local television productions, with a stint as a model, as well. She is also well-known in country for her marriage to iconic Greek singer Tolis Voskopoulos.
- PM Mitsotakis in Berlin: Greece, Germany to present green development plan in December
- Turkish Interior Minister threatens Europe – If we open borders 30,000 refugees a day would flood Europe
- Early release for Aristidis Floros, jailed over Energa, Hellas Power scandals
- Heatwave with temperatures up to 41C in Greece this week
- Mr Bean is enjoying a Summer Holiday in Greece
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Moscow deepens the schism with the ecumenical patriarchate
- Η Μόσχα βαθαίνει το σχίσμα με το Οικουμενικό Πατριαρχείο της Πόλης
- Turkish President Erdogan repeats threats of letting in refugees to EU in Reuters interview
- Former PM Tsipras: We are here, after 4.5 years of struggles
- Fire burns in East Attica – Fire Dept calls for evacuation of civilians