Deputy President of the Armenian National Assembly Eduard Sharmazanov, lawmaker Tachat Vardapetyan and representatives of ethnic minorities on Saturday, May 19 visited the Armenian Genocide memorial in Yerevan to honor the memory of the victims of the Greek genocide.
In a conversation with reporters, Sharmazanov reminded that the Armenian parliament unanimously recognized the genocide of Greeks back in 2015.
“It's a great honor for me to be the key rapporteur on the issue,” lawmaker said.
“At the same time, we and our Greek and Cypriot partners have joined forces to fight against denialism. Both Greece and Cyprus have condemned Turkey’s denialist policy but that’s not enough.”
According to him, the Greek, Assyrian and Armenian Diaspora and the three countries together can resist the Turkish denialism.
Sharmazanov, who is of Greek descent, said April 24 and May 19 are first and foremost days of revival.
“As I have said before, I am 100% Greek and 100% Armenian, and that gives me more strength to fight for the international recognition of both the Armenian and Greek genocides,” the MP said.
On April 24, Armenians worldwide commemorated the 103rd anniversary of the Genocide which began in the Ottoman Empire in 1915 and continued until 1923. Some three dozen countries, hundreds of local government bodies and international organizations have so far recognized the killings of 1.5 million Armenians in the Ottoman Empire as Genocide. Turkey denies to this day.
- Handelsblatt: Tsipras govt may face 'sanctions' by European creditors over abruptly announced relief measures
- Lonely Planet cites hidden 'gems' amongst Greece's numerous isles, such as Karpathos and Tilos
- Tsipras leaves open possibility of snap elections in case of European Parliament loss
- US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations chief Risch sends support message for EastMed Act
- Greece's rack railway train returns to service
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- May 26 elections results will determine date of general election
- Mitsotakis wraps up campaign in Thessaloniki, blasts Tsipras on Prespes, handouts, security
- Ο Ακάρ κουνά το δάχτυλο στην Αθήνα: Οχι σε προκλήσεις και ανεύθυνες δηλώσεις
- Ελληνικά αεροσκάφη Canadair CL-415 σπεύδουν στο Ισραήλ για βοήθεια
- Αστρονομικό συμβόλαιο για Αντετοκούνμπο;