With the Greek and US national anthems, the celebrations of the 242nd anniversary of America’s July 4 Independence Day started at the ambassador's house in Athens on Tuesday.
During his speech, US Ambassador to Greece Geoffrey Pyatt referred to the strong bonds between Greece and the US.
“ Nick and Mary Mathews are great examples of both Greek resilience and of how Greece and America have stood together over the years, joined by our common experiences and values,” he said.
"We are celebrating how our founding fathers declared independence, taking the first step toward the creation of a nation defined not by language, geography, or religion - but by our democratic values.”
As Greece starts to recover, the US will help the country on its course, said the ambassador, who also referred to investments.
- Handelsblatt: Tsipras govt may face 'sanctions' by European creditors over abruptly announced relief measures
- Lonely Planet cites hidden 'gems' amongst Greece's numerous isles, such as Karpathos and Tilos
- Tsipras leaves open possibility of snap elections in case of European Parliament loss
- US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations chief Risch sends support message for EastMed Act
- Greece's rack railway train returns to service
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- May 26 elections results will determine date of general election
- Mitsotakis wraps up campaign in Thessaloniki, blasts Tsipras on Prespes, handouts, security
- Ο Ακάρ κουνά το δάχτυλο στην Αθήνα: Οχι σε προκλήσεις και ανεύθυνες δηλώσεις
- Ελληνικά αεροσκάφη Canadair CL-415 σπεύδουν στο Ισραήλ για βοήθεια
- Αστρονομικό συμβόλαιο για Αντετοκούνμπο;