Australian PM Tony Abbott today announced the composition of his new government naming Greek Australian liberal senator Athanasios Synodinos deputy economy minister.
This came as a surprise since Mr. Synodinos was expected to head the economy ministry and has made main headlines in today's The Australian Financial Review.
According to the newspaper, sources within the ruling coalition noted that there is a possibility that Mr. Synodinos will have to testify in front of a relevant committee inquiring into corrupt practices in New South Wales on issues that predate his election to the senate. The government would not like to find itself in a "compromising" position, they added.
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Foreign Minister Kotzias in Brussels for EU Foreign Affairs Council
- New Democracy: Party program and unity at focus of 11th Party Convention
- Lesvos island decongestion plan in full swing
- IMF's Lagarde: “Debt restructuring for Greek economy to be sustainable”
- Nine arrests for incidents after volleyball match