Australian PM Tony Abbott today announced the composition of his new government naming Greek Australian liberal senator Athanasios Synodinos deputy economy minister.
This came as a surprise since Mr. Synodinos was expected to head the economy ministry and has made main headlines in today's The Australian Financial Review.
According to the newspaper, sources within the ruling coalition noted that there is a possibility that Mr. Synodinos will have to testify in front of a relevant committee inquiring into corrupt practices in New South Wales on issues that predate his election to the senate. The government would not like to find itself in a "compromising" position, they added.
- Rethymno sends soil from battlefield to Australia
- Evzones guards stand proud at Victorian Parliament in Australia
- Australian artist: 'Athens is one of the last cities in Europe that can still be old, weird, and chaotic'
- Greece beat Australia, Maniatis scores an amazing goal
- Tennis Pro Nick Kyrgios Won’t Compete At Davis Cup