Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan used the occasion of celebrations in Turkey commemorating 565 years to the day since the conquest of Constantinople by the Ottoman Turks and Mehmed II, to promote himself in a video released by the Turkish Presidency.
The Turkish Presidency created a 3:49-minute video showing all the historical personalities that marked the Ottoman Empire leading up to current day President Erdogan.
The video starts with the fall of Constantinople showing the soldiers of Mehmed II hauling ships over the land, while it continues with other leading figures in the past like Sultan Abdul Hamid II and the founder of modern-day Turkey, Mustafa Kemal, before ending with Erdogan.
- Handelsblatt: Tsipras govt may face 'sanctions' by European creditors over abruptly announced relief measures
- Lonely Planet cites hidden 'gems' amongst Greece's numerous isles, such as Karpathos and Tilos
- Tsipras leaves open possibility of snap elections in case of European Parliament loss
- US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations chief Risch sends support message for EastMed Act
- Greece's rack railway train returns to service
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- May 26 elections results will determine date of general election
- Mitsotakis wraps up campaign in Thessaloniki, blasts Tsipras on Prespes, handouts, security
- Ο Ακάρ κουνά το δάχτυλο στην Αθήνα: Οχι σε προκλήσεις και ανεύθυνες δηλώσεις
- Ελληνικά αεροσκάφη Canadair CL-415 σπεύδουν στο Ισραήλ για βοήθεια
- Αστρονομικό συμβόλαιο για Αντετοκούνμπο;