Ankara has voiced new threats against Nicosia on the occasion of the forthcoming exploration on plot 7 of the Cyprus EEZ.
"We will not allow any foreign country, company or ship to carry out oil exploration in our waters without a license," Ankara's Foreign Minister said in a statement.
Indeed, Turkey warns that it will take "the necessary measures" to protect its rights and interests. It also announces that it will soon undertake submarine drilling in the area.
Ankara also accuses Nicosia of demonstrating in its stance that it does not respect the rights of Turkish Cypriots, and that it does not perceive them as equal.
Turkey also argues that the double standard strategy, which Cyprus has followed, ended in the collapse of the Cyprus talks in Kran Montaña in 2017.
Cypriot Foreign Minister: No comments, we are proceeding normally
"We have no comment" on the statement of the Turkish Foreign Ministry in connection with the investigation of hydrocarbons and the authorization of the plot 7 of the Cypriot EEZ," said government spokesman Prodromos Prodromou.
Asked by the press to comment on the statement issued by Ankara, Mr. Prodromou said that "the Republic of Cyprus is proceeding normally with its energy program under international law and in cooperation with the companies which it has contracted."
He also referred to the decisions of the Cabinet last Wednesday, in relation to plot 7 of the Cypriot EEZ.
Moreover, the President of the Republic, Nikos Anastasiadis, ia meeting on Friday with Exxon Senior Vice President Neil Chapman.
The meeting with Exxon is fixed for 10.00 am at the Presidential Palace and as Mr. Prodromou is part of the regular contacts with the company, in view of its activities due to begin next November, but also of interest in plot 7.
- Handelsblatt: Tsipras govt may face 'sanctions' by European creditors over abruptly announced relief measures
- Lonely Planet cites hidden 'gems' amongst Greece's numerous isles, such as Karpathos and Tilos
- Tsipras leaves open possibility of snap elections in case of European Parliament loss
- US Senate Committee on Foreign Relations chief Risch sends support message for EastMed Act
- Tsipras: Greece has stronger alliances than ever
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- May 26 elections results will determine date of general election
- Mitsotakis wraps up campaign in Thessaloniki, blasts Tsipras on Prespes, handouts, security
- Ο Ακάρ κουνά το δάχτυλο στην Αθήνα: Οχι σε προκλήσεις και ανεύθυνες δηλώσεις
- Ελληνικά αεροσκάφη Canadair CL-415 σπεύδουν στο Ισραήλ για βοήθεια
- Αστρονομικό συμβόλαιο για Αντετοκούνμπο;