European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker adopted an unequivocally pro-Cyprus stance on the provocative Turkish action in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea and the violations of Cyprus’s Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
Arriving at the EU Summit meeting in Romania, Mr Juncker said in no uncertain terms: “On that matter I am Cypriot”.
Turkey’s provocative actions in the Cypriot EEZ have already been officially condemned by Federica Maria Mogherini, High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy / Vice-President of the Commission
Greek PM Alexis Tsipras also made reference to Turkey’s provocative actions in the Cypriot EEZ – a matter he is expected to raise at the Summit in Sibiu, Romania along with the President of the Republic of Cyprus, Nicos Anastasiades.
“The question of Turkish provocation concerns the whole of the European Union and not just Cyprus. International law cannot be violated. The European Union must have a united position when international law is violated in its region”, Mr Tsipras said during his arrival.
On his part, the Cypriot President said he expected the European Union would react to Turkey’s provocations commensurate with the gravitas of the EU.
“We hope that something will be done to make uplift Europe in the eyes of all Europeans, particularly on the basis of the principles of European solidarity, but also of respect for the sovereignty of the states in general, much more so for the Member States”, said Mr. Anastasiades.
- Erdogan: 'If needed, Turkey to take same steps in Cyprus as 45 years ago'
- Early release for Aristidis Floros, jailed over Energa, Hellas Power scandals
- EU adopts measures against Turkey’s illegal drilling in Cyprus’ EEZ
- Rep. Cicilline Amendment to End US Arms Embargo in Cyprus Passes US House of Representatives
- Egypt calls on Turkey to stop drilling near Cyprus
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Σκύρος: Η επιβλητική Καστροπολιτεία δέχεται ξανά επισκέπτες, μετά από 18 χρόνια
- Άμισθος σύμβουλος στο υπ. Ψηφιακής Διακυβέρνησης ο Στ. Κριμιζής
- Αγωνάς δρόμου για την κατάθεση των πρώτων νομοσχεδίων
- New FinMin unveils policy statements; says Q1 GDP growth at 1.9%
- AHI Issues Statement on 45th Anniversary of Invasion of Cyprus