Your portfolio has become one of the most important in the European Union, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said while receiving European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship Dimitris Avramopoulos on Thursday in Athens.
Tsipras said it was positive that there was a common stance and position and that Greece has found support regarding the refugee crisis. "Our country is on the frontline," he said.
The premier noted that the crisis does not concern the countries of first reception only but the whole of Europe.
On his part, Avramopoulos said that the Commission's aim is to protect the Schengen zone at all costs. "If the Schengen zone collapses that will be the beginning of the end of Europe," warned the commissioner, noting the existence of "some worrying trends".
Avramopoulos praised Greece's contribution to handling the refugees' issue. "We are not at the same point as two years ago, things are now much better, but we must remain on alert," he noted.
Latest from Guest
- Ο Semyon Bychkov στη Νέα Υόρκη
- Παμμακεδονική Αμερικής: "Σεβαστείτε την Ιστορία και τον πολιτισμό της Μακεδονίας"
- Fantastic Opportunity for Greek-American Students - Heritage America
- NHSA and the Greek America Foundation Co-host the 2018 National Innovation Conference
- Η Έσθερ Μαρκάκη και το αμερικανικό όνειρο