Your portfolio has become one of the most important in the European Union, Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras said while receiving European Commissioner for Migration, Home Affairs and Citizenship Dimitris Avramopoulos on Thursday in Athens.
Tsipras said it was positive that there was a common stance and position and that Greece has found support regarding the refugee crisis. "Our country is on the frontline," he said.
The premier noted that the crisis does not concern the countries of first reception only but the whole of Europe.
On his part, Avramopoulos said that the Commission's aim is to protect the Schengen zone at all costs. "If the Schengen zone collapses that will be the beginning of the end of Europe," warned the commissioner, noting the existence of "some worrying trends".
Avramopoulos praised Greece's contribution to handling the refugees' issue. "We are not at the same point as two years ago, things are now much better, but we must remain on alert," he noted.
- Tsipras-Anastasiades meeting: Close cooperation the foundation to solve the Cyprus problem
- Tsipras meets with Cyprus president Anastasiades in Athens
- Tsipras: Greece has made it; now we are looking to the future with optimism
- Tsipras and US Trade Secretary inaugurate US pavillion at TIF
- US Commernce Secretary Ross to Tsipras: “We are happy to see your economy improve”
Latest from Guest
- Ανατολική Αττική: Η επόμενη μέρα της τραγωδίας - Tης Άννας Σαρηγιάννη
- The "Olive You" Campaign at the Fancy Food Show in New York
- Ελεύθερος με εγγύηση και υπό περιοριστικούς όρους ο Κ. Μπαρμπαρούσης
- Ο Semyon Bychkov στη Νέα Υόρκη
- Παμμακεδονική Αμερικής: "Σεβαστείτε την Ιστορία και τον πολιτισμό της Μακεδονίας"