According to latest information by the Italian authorities, 475 passengers were on board the ferry Norman Atlantic, 425 have been rescued, 10 are confirmed dead, and 40 are still missing among them 32 Greek nationals. The same sources said that a second Greek national is included in the list of the deceased.
However, there is total confusion about the number of people aboard, as some boarded without having purchased tickets ashore.
Shipowner Carlo Visentini and captain Argilio Giacomazzi are facing charges of multiple manslaughter, causing a shipwreck through negligence and causing of injuries through negligence.
The «Europa Cruise» with 15 passengers of the "Norman Atlantic", arrived earlier on Tuesday at Patras port.
In statements to the press, the passengers described their difficult times on board from the moment the fire broke out until they were received by rescue teams.
Doctors and other medical personnel were waiting at the port to offer their services to those in need, while authorities had provided for their transfer and accommodation.
- Greece, US, and France in large military drills practice recapturing island
- Greece, Total, ExxonMobil, HELPE , hydrocarbons surveys , Crete
- Maria Menounos' big beautiful Greek wedding
- Greek foreign minister: Weapons sold to Turkey will be used on Greece
- Athens to Celebrate 120 Years from First Marathon Race
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Malliotakis, GOP Colleagues Call on DOJ to Declassify Documents Relating to 9/11 Attacks
- The cave of Pan and Davelis on Penteli mountain (vid)
- INIOCHOS 2021 exercise spans all of Greek airspace (video)
- The game's afoot for airlines ahead of Greece's tourism opening
- Fashion as a "weapon" for the promotion of Greek tourism