The informal EU Summit in Sibiu, Romania ended with the EU28 leaders expressing their full support to Cyprus over the Turkish provocations in its EEZ via illegal drilling activities.
“Today, President Anastasiades also informed the leaders about the Turkish drilling activities within the exclusive economic zone of Cyprus. The European Union stands united behind the Republic of Cyprus and expects Turkey to respect sovereign rights of the EU Member State. The European Council will continue to follow these developments closely”, said the President of the European Council, Donald Tusk in a statement.
After addressing the need for swift decisions as a guarantee for effective EU institutions, Tusk promised that new leadership positions within the EU would be filled in June, immediately following European parliamentary elections. He also stressed the need for geographic, demographic, and gender balance in the Council’s appointments.
According to Greek diplomatic sources, the EU is likely to take action against Turkey at the next European Councils, either on May 28 or on 20 June.
However, the same sources noted that in the Summit in Romania the debate did not include any proposals for the adoption by the EU of counter-measures against Turkey: “This is the next step to consider what kind of measures can be taken”, they noted.
- Dendias and Borrell visit the border post at Kastanies
- PM Mitsotakis: Greece secured 32 bln euros as a result of the government's consistent work
- EU explicitly condemns escalating aggression by Turkey in the East Mediterranean
- Turkey accuses Greece, Cyprus, France, Egypt & UAE of forming “Alliance of Evil”
- Turkey blocks aircraft carrying medical supplies to Cyprus
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Possible decision turning Hagia Sophia into mosque would signal significant tension in Greek-Turkish relations
- Greece needs Turkish tourists
- FM Dendias in flash visit to Tobruk, Libya
- Flight from Hannover inaugurates tourist season for Heraklion; over 4,000 tourists expected to arrive on Wednesday
- Man saved by dogs during battle with bear in Kastoria