The procedures for the election of new party leader will start immediately, said New Democracy (ND) in an announcement issued on Tuesday.
The decision was taken late Monday after ND leader Evangelos Meimarakis' meeting with the secretary of the party's political committee Andreas Papamimikos.
The pressures incurred by Vangelis Meimarakis by cadres and party deputies who blamed him for the defeat of New Democracy in elections forced him to speed up procedures.
The election of the new president will be made by the party base and will yake place in half a month, the date to be precisely defined, later.
- Will the government get enough votes to pass the bill on Greek expat vote?
- Arson attack against New Democracy MP's home
- Villa rented by Tsipras at Sounio causes quite a stir
- International media "burn" SYRIZA for the fire in Mati and the Novartis conspiracy
- Mitsotakis: Major steps forward in only one year in Greece
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Harsh retort from Athens to threats from Ankara
- Fincantieri expresses interest in participating in restructuring of Elefsis Shipyards
- Promotion of Greek positions through digital parliamentary diplomacy
- Migration, energy crisis and Turkey's provocations high on the agenda
- The Navarino Challenge highlighted the classic sport for another year