FYROM soldiers put some of the migrants in army trucks but it was unclear where they would be taken to.An intelligence source in FYROM said a group of migrants entered the country. "Police and army are aware, they intervened," the source said.
"We are taking measures to return the group to Greece," the FYROM police spokeswoman said. "Police and army have heightened security on the border at critical points."
The spokeswoman said she believed "several hundred" migrants had crossed, lower than an estimate of 2,000 made by a Reuters photographer.
- "Forgotten" mobile phones shed light on the migrant wreck off Pylos
- Pylos Shipwreck: Depositions of the nine accused for trafficking on Monday
- He found his brother whom he thought had drowned in the shipwreck at Pylos
- Shipwreck off Pylos: Refugee communication with activists - New evidence
- Migrant boat overturns off SW Greece in int'l waters; 59 bodies recovered, some 100 rescued