Canadian-Indian billionaire investor Prem Watsa, the founder and head of Fairfax Financial Holdings, attended Monday evening’s inauguration of an upscale resort in southeast coastal Athens, where he took the opportunity to extend kudos over the country’s robust economic turnaround and to the center-right Mitsotakis government.
The comments came with Greek PM Kyriakos Mitsotakis in attendance, who arrived immediately after his return to Athens from a lightning half-day visit to Israel and a meeting with his Israeli counterpart Benjamin Netanyahu.
Among others, Watsa said the biggest achievement of Mitsotakis and his government has been to persuade the Greek people that an investment-friendly and pro-business government can create benefits for the people.
He also called last week’s upgrade of Greece’s credit rating to “investment grade” by Standard & Poor’s as a milestone for the country.
The high-profile event inaugurated the “One & Only Aesthesis” resort in the seaside district of Glyfada, along the so-called Athenian “Riviera”, which aims to extend from near Piraeus southeast all the way to Cape Sounion.
Watsa’s Fairfax Financial Holdings has been a consistent institutional investor in Greece over recent years, including holding a major stake in ATHEX-listed Eurobank, one of four systemic banks in the country.
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Germans vote for Greece - The giant company that will film its new advertisement in Greece
- PM Mitsotakis: Greece offers many investment opportunities for Indian businesses
- Cultural Heritage School 2: Greece-USA for the protection of cultural heritage from climate change
- Greece participates in 'Spears of Victory 24' defense exersise in Saudi Arabia
- Beekeepers protest outside parliament