The port of Piraeus was the swiftest growing harbor worldwide between 2009 to 2013, as assessed by the International Association of Ports and Harbors (IAPH).
The timeframe concurs with the operational activities of Chinese corporation Cosco, which remains active at the Hellenic seaport. Container activity expanded by a monumental 476% during the timeframe, placing Piraeus as the number one port in the world concerning growth.
In 2009 the port of Piraeus accepted 665,000 containers, in comparison to 2013's 3.16 million. By 2014, this figure finalized at 3.74 million, marking a 19% yearly growth rate. The rate has stabilized this year, as the port has reached its maximum capacity. For its activity to increase again, additional investments are required.
- Leipsoi: High occupancy this summer
- Mitsotakis: Greece, Cyprus will never resign from right to self-defense
- Tourism: Which islands are under scrutiny for covid measures after Mykonos
- Transportation: What changes from July 5
- Vaccination Certificate: Green Pass Premiere for Travel to 33 Countries in Europe