Infobank Hellastat conducted a survey that revealed olive oil intake has dropped in Greece over the last couple of years, as a result of lower incomes. Consumers are cutting costs wherever they can, even in basic food necessities.
The analysis was based on domestic olive oil production, which stabilized at 200,000 tons between 2012 to 2013. It has been predicted to decline further in the near future. The drop was determined in branded olive oil items, however labeled olive oil has been consistently increasing, adding pressure to brand makers.
Between 2012 to 2013, domestic olive oil manufacturing finalized at 357,900 tons. A 6% decline has been projected between 2013 to 2014, due to unfavorable weather patterns. The analysis studied 110 olive oil companies, that held 4.0% less in turnover, compared to the prior year. Operation gains decreased by 7.0%, and pre-tax revenues declined by 40%.
- Economist: Greece rises 9 places in the "democracy index"
- IT: Record recruitment in the Greek market in 2023
- Weather: How the warm holidays in Greece relate to the "storm of the century" in the US
- NATO: Greece and Turkey to resolve their differences diplomatically
- Commission: SURE program installment payment completed - How much Greece got