Austria's drag performer Conchita Wurst, whose real name is Tom Neuwirth, won the 59th annual Eurovision contest on Saturday evening, in Copenhagen.
The vocalist won with the song "Rise Like a Phoenix" and gained 290 points.
This is the second time Austria has won the tournament, and marks the second time the nation participated in the final, within the last ten years. Wurst stated of the win, "This night is dedicated to everyone who believes in a future of peace and freedom. You know who you are - we are unity and we are unstoppable".
Remarkable stage performances characterized the grand finale, where Greece included a trampolinist on stage. Greece's Freaky Fortune singers Nikolas Raptakis and Theofilos Pouzbouris featuring RiskyKidd, placed twentieth in the final showdown.
- Washington Examiner: US considers leaving Incirlik and "sees" alternative in Greece
- AHI Participates on State Department Call on Eastern Med Developments
- Athens-Nicosia in step for the EU summit for Belarus and Turkish aggression
- 25 personalities support Greece and Cyprus against Turkish aggression in letter to the "Times"
- Turkish foreign minister accuses Greece of 'black propaganda', attacks Joe Biden