International Museum Day is celebrated each year and this year's motto is:
"Museum collections make connections".
The commemoration was created by the International Council of Museums and strives to promote public awareness, concerning museums around the world. Greece is observing the Day at its major museums.
Athens' Acropolis Museum has set up specialized exhibitions to honor International Museum Day. They include a display of commemorative medals dedicated to the Acropolis. On May 18th, the Museum will hold two specialized gallery discussions on: "The Hare of the Acropolis" and "The Moscophoros: A New Display of an Acropolis Masterpiece". On Sunday, the Acropolis Museum is offering free admission between 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
The City of Athens is addressing International Museum Day with a plethora of events. At 10:00 p.m. an evening tour of "Tasos Zografos – A Retrospective" has been scheduled. Musical guided tours are being offered at the Benaki Museum by the Nikos Hadjikyriakos-Ghika Gallery, between 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Thiseios' Herakleidon Museum will also grant free access on May 18th, and offer up to 70% discounts at their gift shop. Free entrance is also being offered by The Hellenic Cosmos Cultural Center's "Patterns of Magnificence: Tradition and Reinvention in Greek Women's Costume".
Kiffisia's Goulandris Natural History Museum-Gaia Center is also conducting admission-free events on International Museum Day, between 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Coronavirus: 5 positive samples in travelers - Alarm for a Swede positive for the virus who took walks in Athens
- Spectacular arrest of members of a foreign criminal organization for robberies, thefts and drugs (vid)
- Athens closed off to cars for three months
- Greek police find over 2kg of cocaine in stolen car in Athens
- The Athens urban development plan offering a new experience to citizens and tourists