Greek Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Evangelos Venizelos stated to Reuters, that the nation's coalition administration may recommend a candidate that is not based in politics for president elect in March.
Even though the Hellenic presidential role is mainly for ceremonial purposes, if one is not elected, early national elections will result. Venizelos described the act during his time at the UNGA, "The list for president is very limited...We have some scenarios but we are absolutely open".
The Greek Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Affairs Minister commented that appropriate contenders can be from academic and cultural sectors. Venizelos added, "I'm optimistic because public opinion ... is against the idea of premature elections. The large majority of public opinion understands very well the need to protect the political, governmental stability".
- Deputy US Special Climate Envoy: We support Greece’s role in diversifying energy sources with its Balkan neighbors
- Greek president attends liturgy, receives wishes for New Year
- Greece: Gateway for Indian agricultural products to the EU
- Greece sends humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip with C-130 aicraft
- Santorini, Island of Energy and Timeless Beauty