The attempted coup in Turkey and president Erdogan's wwidening rift with the West is leading to a new surge of migrants seeking refuge in Greece. A dinghy with 34 refugees and migrants was located off the northern coasts of Lesvos on Monday.
The rescued were sent to Mytilene port and afterwards will be transferred to Moria hotspot.
Refugees and migrants arrivals posted a significant increase from July 15, day of the failed coup in Turkey, however, in the last three days no arrivals were recorded on the island of Lesvos.
A total of 7,192 identified migrants and refugees were on the northern Greek islands on Monday.
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Fire front in Evia out of control
- Ancient Olympia - wildfire - Fears for the archeological site
- Hellenic Banking Association – Banks on the side of the fire victims
- Ηigh, medium-voltage power lines knocked out from raging wildfire
- Fires in Attica – Continuous fires and overnight battle on three fronts