Seismologists in Greece are on alert after the recent high frequency of earthquake activity in Crete. Only in the last 6 days, 101 small and medium-sized seismic vibrations were recorded, which have troubled scientists as they are still unable to determine whether the series of tremors is a pre-seismic activity of a larger quake yet to strike, or a simple cluster of vibrations.
Seismology professor Dr. Athanasios Ganas and research director at the Geodynamic Institute speaking to protothema.gr pointed out that the seismic activity is part of the usual seismic activity of the Greek faultline but added that it is not yet clear whether it is a normal high-frequency cluster or prelude to a large quake.
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Fire front in Evia out of control
- Ancient Olympia - wildfire - Fears for the archeological site
- Hellenic Banking Association – Banks on the side of the fire victims
- Ηigh, medium-voltage power lines knocked out from raging wildfire
- Fires in Attica – Continuous fires and overnight battle on three fronts