Greece expanded its measures of closures on Friday to prevent the spread of coronavirus epidemic by ordering the shutdown of coffee shops, bars, malls and restaurants.
In a daily televised briefing, disease specialist Sotiris Tsiodras announced that supermarkets, food shops, bakeries, pharmacies and public and private health services will remain open. Also remaining open will be all take-out and delivery food businesses.
Shutdowns, on the other hand, also include libraries, museums and archaeological sites, and sports venues.
To date, confirmed coronavirus cases in Greece total 190 from yesterday's 117. Of the 190, 11 cases have no known cause of origin (9 of the 11 are in Attica region). A total of 47 people are hospitalized, 5 in intensive care units. Greece has recorded one coronavirus-related death so far.
The announcements for the closures followed a brief introductory message by Health Minister Vassilis Kikilias, who said the reasons for introducing the new measures are that new cases have appeared in areas with no previous case history and that the public is not observing official advice to restrict its movements and stay home instead.
Coronavirus numbers (Greece):
- Total cases as of March 13: 190 (Thursday total: 117), another 36 suspected cases being tested
- One death (unchanged since Thursday)
- Of 190, 47 are in hospitals, 5 of them in intensive care
- Age breakdown: 79 aged 40-44, 47 over 65, 7 children/teens aged 0-17
- Geographic breakdown: Athens 85, Ilia prefecture 40, Achaia prefecture 9, Thessaloniki 6, East Attica region 5, Zakynthos island 4 and Kastoria 3.
- Total lab tests conducted so far: 2,700 (1,000 of these in the last 48 hours)
- Greek museums: Reinventing their contact with the public during lockdown
- When will pandemic measures be lifted
- Greece-Israel agreement on the drug against coronavirus
- Operation Eleftheria: How Greeks will get the coronavirus vaccination - When will it start
- Coronavirus: Concern over the 4 negative records yesterday in Greece
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Dior adored Greece in a magical show in Kallimarmaro (video)
- Mitsotakis and Von der Layen at the Ancient Agora : A historic moment for Greece and Europe
- Hellenic Tourism Organization: Under the auspices of the organization a sports and a gastronomic event
- AHI Submits Testimony To House Appropriations Committee
- Ursula von der Leyen's visit to Athens and the gifts she bears