The project has the capability to connect Sounio’s Temple of Poseidon to Antonis Tristis Park in the western Athens district of Ilion, according to ANA-MPA.
NTUA specialists will study abandoned Attica train tracks and will focus their initial efforts on the unused route between Lavrio and Aghious Anargyrous, to see how they can be interconnected with active bicycle paths.
Their goal is to establish an interlinking biking grid between Lavrio and Aghious Anargyrous, Nea Filadefia, Halkidona, Iraklio, Maroussi, Halandri, Aghia Paraskevi, Pallini, Paeania, Koropi, Markopoulo, and Saronikos-Mesogeia.
Attica’s departing Regional Governor Yiannis Sgouros explained, "Bicycling in Greece, though behind the rest of Europe, is beginning to gain popularity…The project will begin in Mesogeia, a source of great historical and cultural wealth. The archaeological sites, Byzantine churches, wineries, towns, etc. will gain repute and accessibility through the planned route. It is expected to make a significant contribution to growth”.(Source: www.ekathimerini.com)
- Attica turns to the sea - What will the 70 km long Athenian Riviera, from Piraeus to Sounio be
- Attica is one step before a new lockdown
- Coronavirus: Concern over the 4 negative records yesterday in Greece
- Open markets in Attica to operate as normal, federation says
- Snowfall in Attica, very low temperatures throughtout Greece on Thursday