American Hellenic Institute President Nick Larigakis offered a complimentary statement, regarding U.S. Senator Dan Coats' (R-IN) lifting of a hold placed on S.Res. 105.
The resolution recognizes the 194th anniversary of Greek independence and honors democracy in both Greece and the United States. The U.S. senator acted after receiving a letter penned by Greek Ambassador to the U.S. Christos Panagopoulos.
Previously Senator Coats put a hold on the resolution, due to remarks made by Greek Minister of Defense Panos Kammenos, that barred its advancement. After the hold was eliminated, the resolution was passed unanimously; it was sponsored by U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and held 28 co-sponsors.
AHI President Larigakis remarked, "We congratulate the entire Greek American community for coming together to advance the resolution...It is important to recognize just what can be accomplished for the advancement of U.S.-Greece relations and interests when we work together."
- Cultural Heritage School 2: Greece-USA for the protection of cultural heritage from climate change
- Deputy US Special Climate Envoy: We support Greece’s role in diversifying energy sources with its Balkan neighbors
- Greece: Gateway for Indian agricultural products to the EU
- Greece and the USA open an electric highway in the Western Balkans – MoU signed
- Greece sends humanitarian aid to the Gaza Strip with C-130 aicraft