American Hellenic Institute President Nick Larigakis offered a complimentary statement, regarding U.S. Senator Dan Coats' (R-IN) lifting of a hold placed on S.Res. 105.
The resolution recognizes the 194th anniversary of Greek independence and honors democracy in both Greece and the United States. The U.S. senator acted after receiving a letter penned by Greek Ambassador to the U.S. Christos Panagopoulos.
Previously Senator Coats put a hold on the resolution, due to remarks made by Greek Minister of Defense Panos Kammenos, that barred its advancement. After the hold was eliminated, the resolution was passed unanimously; it was sponsored by U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and held 28 co-sponsors.
AHI President Larigakis remarked, "We congratulate the entire Greek American community for coming together to advance the resolution...It is important to recognize just what can be accomplished for the advancement of U.S.-Greece relations and interests when we work together."
- AHI Publishes Fact Sheet on Missing Persons in Cyprus
- Washington Examiner: US considers leaving Incirlik and "sees" alternative in Greece
- AHI Participates on State Department Call on Eastern Med Developments
- Athens-Nicosia in step for the EU summit for Belarus and Turkish aggression
- 25 personalities support Greece and Cyprus against Turkish aggression in letter to the "Times"