American Hellenic Institute President Nick Larigakis offered a complimentary statement, regarding U.S. Senator Dan Coats' (R-IN) lifting of a hold placed on S.Res. 105.
The resolution recognizes the 194th anniversary of Greek independence and honors democracy in both Greece and the United States. The U.S. senator acted after receiving a letter penned by Greek Ambassador to the U.S. Christos Panagopoulos.
Previously Senator Coats put a hold on the resolution, due to remarks made by Greek Minister of Defense Panos Kammenos, that barred its advancement. After the hold was eliminated, the resolution was passed unanimously; it was sponsored by U.S. Senator Robert Menendez (D-NJ) and held 28 co-sponsors.
AHI President Larigakis remarked, "We congratulate the entire Greek American community for coming together to advance the resolution...It is important to recognize just what can be accomplished for the advancement of U.S.-Greece relations and interests when we work together."
- Polylimnio, the hidden treasure of Messinia (vid)
- Turkey: Inflammatory rhetoric ahead of bilateral meeting
- Greece-France ink deal for frigates and defense agreement
- Monica Bellucci in Athens for three nights for play about Maria Callas
- Greece - pandemic - What do infection specialists expect for the end of September?