The Nippon Club opening reception for "The Cyprus Lefkara - From Cyprus, A Beautiful Island Country in the Mediterranean", supported by the Consulate General of the Republic of Cyprus in New York, took place on April 19th, 2018 at The Nippon Club in New York.
Ambassador Vasilios Philippou, the High Commissioner and Consul General of the Republic of Cyprus in New York, during his talk on Cyprus and Lefkara laces, mentioned that Lefkara laces have been recognized and included on the UNESCO Intangible World Heritage List and could be considered as an instrument of cultural diplomacy.
The Vice President of the Nippon Club, Motohiro Satoh said that he read that the lace in the painting of The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci might be a Lefkara lace.
Videos about Lefkara laces and Cyprus, as a tourist destination, where also broadcasted, during the event, while guests also had the opportunity to taste Greek and Japanese gastronomy and Cyprus wine.
The Deputy Consul General of Japan in New York, Koji Abe, the Deputy Executive Head of the United Nations Democracy Fund, Mikiko Sawanishi, and other distinguished guests from various backgrounds attended the event.
The exhibition of Lefkara at The Nippon Club will last until April 25th, 2018 (Opening hours: from Monday to Friday: 10:00 am – 6:00 pm, Sat: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm, Sun: Closed).
To be noted that the Nippon Club was considered as the only Japanese social club in the U.S.A. and was founded by a well-known chemist, Dr. Jokichi Takamine, in 1905, as place of cultural exchange and business between Japan and the U.S.A.
Picture by Despina Afentouli. (from left:) Ambassador Vasilios Philippou, the High Commissioner and Consul General of the Republic of Cyprus in New York, the Deputy Executive Head of the United Nations Democracy Fund, Mikiko Sawanishi, and the Deputy Consul General of Japan in New York, Koji Abe.
- New York
- the nippon club
- the cyprus lefkara from cyprus, a beautiful island country in the mediterranean
- consulate general of the republic of cyprus in new york
- ambassador vasilios philippou
- high commissioner
- consul general
- cyprus republic
- unesco intangible world heritage list
- instrument of cultural diplomacy
- vice president of the nippon club, motohiro sato
- last supper
- leonardo da vinci
- deputy consul general of japan in new york, koji abe
- chemist, dr jokichi takamine
- deputy executive head of the united nations democracy fund, mikiko sawanishi
- EU condemns Turkey expresses full support to Greece and Cyprus in dispute with Turkey
- US to lift arms embargo against Cyprus
- Cyprus, France, and Italy to start Naval exercise in EEZ sending clear message to Turkey
- Cyprus petitions the ICJ at the Hague over Turkish belligerence in East Med
- Greece and Cyprus hold firm stance against Turkish provocations