American Hellenic Institute (AHI) President Nick Larigakis submitted written testimony to the House of Representatives Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs on the Biden Administration’s foreign aid proposal for FY2022 on June 11, 2021.
In written testimony, President Larigakis stated in the best interests of the United States that AHI opposed: (1) any proposed foreign aid and assistance to Turkey from the United States; (2) any proposed reduction in the aid levels for the UN Peacekeeping Force in Cyprus.
AHI advocated that the current funding level for NATO ally Greece’s International Military Education and Training (IMET) program be raised from $1 million to $1.5 million appropriation for Greece’s IMET program, as had been authorized in The Eastern Mediterranean Security and Energy Partnership Act. The Act passed as part of the FY2020 government funding package in December 2019. The Eastern Mediterranean Security and Energy Partnership Act also authorized, for the first time, $500,000 for the Republic of Cyprus’ IMET program, which was then appropriated by Congress. The AHI informed the subcommittee that the $500,000 received for the Republic of Cyprus’ IMET must be maintained.
In addition, AHI recommended that a minimum of $10 million in appropriations be allocated in foreign military financing to Greece.
“We thank Chairwoman Lee, Ranking Member Rogers, and members of the Subcommittee, for the taking our testimony into consideration as they formulate their bill,” Larigakis said. “It is vital to ensure the Greek American community’s positions on American foreign aid to this increasingly vital region are presented and entered into the public record.”
The House Appropriations Subcommittee on State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs is chaired by U.S. Rep. Barbara Lee (D-CA). U.S. Rep. Hal Rogers (R-KY) is the Subcommittee’s ranking member.
- BoG Gov. Stournara hosts official dinner for Lagarde in the presence of Mitsotakis
- FT says that Greece still has a way to go and offers tips for next government
- Kalymnos: Second best climbing destination in the world
- Eleni Chronopoulou: The lawyer who denounced Greek MEP Alexis Georgoulis for abuse and harassment
- Andros: At the top of the list of the 7 best islands in the world for nature and cultural experiences
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- SYRIZA congress: Winners and losers - Kasselakis, the committee Pappas and Tsipras
- Agia Varvara: Man kills son-in-law in front of his granddaughter
- Germans vote for Greece - The giant company that will film its new advertisement in Greece
- PM Mitsotakis: Greece offers many investment opportunities for Indian businesses
- Cultural Heritage School 2: Greece-USA for the protection of cultural heritage from climate change