Olympia Dukakis Supports Cypriot LGBT Community
Greek-American actress Olympia Dukakis has recently expressed her support, regarding Cyprus' first Pride Parade.
The Oscar Award winning entertainer declared, "...keep going forward...stay the course", to the island's LGBT community. Dukakis has spent a substantial amount of time on Cyprus.
When queried if the LGBT community should have equal rights by reporter Harris Mavromichalis, the performer stated, "Even asking the question, 'should they have the right' is offensive. Even asking the question, even thinking that another human being has to ask for that ... that bothers me. We have a short period of time here and to be deprived of anything out of what people consider religious principles is repugnant".
The successful Greek-American further added in her message to Cyprus' LGBT society, "Just keep going forward. Keep asserting who you are, what you want. Look at the changes. Who would have expected what's happening now where things are now. Stay the course".
Cyprus held its first Pride Parade in Nicosia on May 31st, which was widely supported by international and national delegates. However, it was not met with support by the Greek Orthodox Church, who stated the word of God: "condemns homosexuality" and believes it is: "...a degradation and a sickness".
- Cavusoglu: “Cyprus is our national issue” – A Federation solution is no longer appropriate
- The designs of the new Deputy Shipping Minister for Cypriot shipping
- Ankara accepted Cyprus' offer to send a rescue team
- Turkey targets Greek islands and Cyprus gas field
- Commission: SURE program installment payment completed - How much Greece got