More than 7,340 doctors have left Greece in the last six years, on the basis of data of the Athens Medical Board. Of these 5,406 migrated since 2011 in search of jobs.
Until 2009, doctors leaving the country did so after finishing their rural service in order to seek residencies in foreign hospitals, since waiting lists for Greek residencies were usually very long.
So far according to the data doctors that left per year are:
2009, 500 doctors left, 300 specialized, 200 residents
2010, 218 specialists, 517 residents
2011, 797 specialists, 483 residents
2012, 1,166 specialists, 642 residents
2013, 1,086 specialists, 402 residents
2014, by June 594 specialists, 236 residents
Since January 2013, a year when registration of doctors leaving and their destinations, it has been ascertained that 1,327 Greek doctors migrated to the UK, 290 to Germany, and 137 to Sweden.
Other Greek doctors have migrated to Switzerland, USA, France, Norway, Finland, Romania, Denmark, UAE, and Saudi Arabia.
- President Sakellaropoulou receives NY mayor Eric Adams
- PM Mitsotakis meets with new AJC executive director Ted Deutch
- Greece holds the "helm" of global shipping
- Seismic research for hydrocarbons continues in Greek blocks "Ionio" and "Kyparissiakos"
- Barrage of aftershocks after 4.7 Richter earthquake in Evia that was felt in Athens