The United States has congratulated Turkish-Cypriot leader-elect Mustafa Akinci on his electoral success, via a press release by the U.S. Embassy in Cyprus.
The congratulatory words stated, "We welcome Mr. Akinci's April 26 statement that he is ready to move forward with UN-facilitated talks to reunite Cyprus as a bi-zonal, bi-communal federation."
The press release added that 2015 can be a timeline with, "significant and lasting progress toward a Cyprus settlement, as Secretary Kerry recently stated."
The press release ended with, "We encourage all parties to work closely with the UN Special Advisor on Cyprus Espen Barth Eide to resume talks in an intensified and results-oriented manner, based on the February 2014 joint declaration."
- Exploratory talks with with Turkish vessel Cesme in the Aegean!
- With the Belharra frigates Greece voids Turkey's "Blue Homeland" doctrine
- PM Mitsotakis visits Cyprus and Israel on Monday
- Turkish foreign minister heralds meeting with Greek counterpart
- Joint exercise with Greece, Egypt, France, the UAE, and Cyprus (vid)