The United States has congratulated Turkish-Cypriot leader-elect Mustafa Akinci on his electoral success, via a press release by the U.S. Embassy in Cyprus.
The congratulatory words stated, "We welcome Mr. Akinci's April 26 statement that he is ready to move forward with UN-facilitated talks to reunite Cyprus as a bi-zonal, bi-communal federation."
The press release added that 2015 can be a timeline with, "significant and lasting progress toward a Cyprus settlement, as Secretary Kerry recently stated."
The press release ended with, "We encourage all parties to work closely with the UN Special Advisor on Cyprus Espen Barth Eide to resume talks in an intensified and results-oriented manner, based on the February 2014 joint declaration."
- ECB meets on Cyprus to mull interest rates and inflation
- US State Dept: Cyprus has the right to develop resources within its EEZ
- Hercules-2 joint training kicks off in Egypt with Saudi Arabia, UAE, Greece, Cyprus
- Cyprus' hopes for "Aphrodite" gas field
- Our Lady of Lapithos, Ephrosyne Proestos saves 12 Cypriot soldiers