Today, Larnaca Airport was evacuated after a bomb scare occurred this morning at 9:00 a.m.
The airport resumed regular operation by 10:30 a.m. Personnel and travelers were allowed to re-enter the facilities, after a comprehensive search was conducted by police, bomb experts and bomb trained sniffing canines. According to Philenews, Larnaca airport was completely emptied during search efforts.
As reported by The Cyprus Daily, the bomb tip was telephoned in by an English speaking male containing an Arabic accent. The explosive scare comes just one day prior to U.S. Vice President Joe Biden's scheduled trip to Cyprus. Paphos Police Chief Nicos Sophocleous announced that Paphos Airport administered precautionary checks as well.
- Turkey accuses Greece, Cyprus, France, Egypt & UAE of forming “Alliance of Evil”
- Turkey blocks aircraft carrying medical supplies to Cyprus
- TUI CEO: Greece and Cyprus well-prepared for summer
- EastMed natural gas agreement tabled in parliament for ratification
- Greece, Israel and Cyprus may create a safe zone for tourism