Italian Enel Company Desires Greek Oil & Gas
Greece announced today, that Italian company Enel has asked for exploration permission, concerning Greek oil and gas.
Enel has show interest in three onshore spaces in the western part of the nation. The Energy Ministry is deciding on the Italian's application. If permission is authorized, Greek oil companies will be offered at least 3 months to offer applications for the same regions themselves.
Energy Minister Yiannis Maniatis stated, "Enel Group's decision... is a vote of confidence in our great national effort to exploit our mineral wealth". Greece has recently attracted oil companies around Europe to develop and examine its areas.
Athens imports the majority of its natural gas and oil. The state spent 15.6 billion euros on fuel imports in 2013, which amounts to approximately 8.6% of its gross domestic product.
- Greek PPC: What the deal with Enel for Romanian assets mean for the company and Greece
- Greece's PPC: The deal with Enel was announced
- Greek inflation rate fell to 6.5% in February
- Anthony Blinken: The background to his visits to Greece and Turkey
- Economist: Greece rises 9 places in the "democracy index"