Over 2,500 refugees have arrived on Lesvos this morning within three hours, according to one Reuters photographer.
The majority of the migrants originate from Afghanistan and were carried on 40 rubber dinghies, each holding about 60 to 70 individuals. The refugees traveled through the rain, while some were experiencing hypothermia.
18-year-old Ruhin, who was traveling from Afghanistan described, "It was difficult, we were afraid." Reuters photographers who have been stationed at the island, confirmed that the amount of boats entering its waterways has vastly increased recently.
- Greece in the grips of fire
- A total of 4,649 Ukrainian refugees have crossed the border since the start of the war
- 515 Ukrainians arrived in Greece in the last 24h
- First refugees from Ukraine arrive in Athens
- Greek Archbishop: If requested all Archdiocese facilities to be made available to Ukrainian refugees