German government spokesman Steffen Seibert on Monday stressed the need for cooperation between Greece and Turkey in order to control the activities of refugee and migrant traffickers in the Aegean.
"We have at this time, especially in the Aegean between Greece and Turkey, a situation in which the borders are open in the sense that traffickers can act as they like there, and which leads many people to put their lives at immediate risk. This is something that must change. At this time I cannot tell you with which precise cooperation - the coast guard or units of the navy - this can be achieved," the spokesman for German Chancellor Angela Merkel said.
- President Sakellaropoulou receives NY mayor Eric Adams
- PM Mitsotakis meets with new AJC executive director Ted Deutch
- Greece holds the "helm" of global shipping
- Seismic research for hydrocarbons continues in Greek blocks "Ionio" and "Kyparissiakos"
- Barrage of aftershocks after 4.7 Richter earthquake in Evia that was felt in Athens