Log in
A+ A A-
latest youtube videos subscribe ORIGINAL

150 years since the National Archaeological Museum was founded

The birth of Greece's National Archaeological Museum was first announced on April 27, 1866 by the Chief Guard of Antiquities Zissis Sotiriou - one of the fighters of the independence war of 1821.

The announcement notified all Greeks that a new "Museum of All Greeks" was to be erected on the land donated by Eleni Tositsa on Patission Street and also urged anyone hoarding antiquities in their home to donate them, in order to enrich the new museum's collection.
Sotiriou was appointed to his position in 1863 and oversaw the building of both the first Acropolis Museum and the National Archaeological Museum. The building's foundation stone was officially set in 1866, in a grand ceremony attended by King George the First, ministers, MPs and crowds of people, which marked the culmination of an effort lasting over three decades, with many false starts and dashed hopes along the way.
It would take another 23 years, however, for the building to be erected, initially starting with the west wing. The museum is now celebrating the 150th year since its foundation and has planned a series of events throughout the year to mark the anniversary and the sometimes tumultuous course over the last century and a half.