Log in
A+ A A-
latest youtube videos subscribe ORIGINAL

Child Suffocates from Fumes

A 13-year-old girl of Serbian nationality has died in Thessaloniki after inhaling fumes from a makeshift stove in her house, which did not have electricity.

Authorities said they were called to a home in the Xirokrini neighborhood of the northern city at around 11 p.m. on Sunday. They found that the teenager was already dead. Her 54-year-old mother is thought to have lost consciousness before regaining her senses long enough to call for help.

The brazier was the apartment's only form of heating and it is thought the girl died from carbon monoxide poisoning. Sources report that the apartment's electricity had been cut off due to unpaid bills totaling around 1,000 euros, since the girl's mother was unemployed for the past 3 months.

The girl's mother was taken into custody.