The victim count of the wildfires has reached 83 after one more body was discovered and an elderly man in critical condition succumbed.
The representative of the Fire Brigade, Stavroula Malliri said the death toll had reached 82, adding that search operations to detect missing persons and other victims is continuing. A few minutes later the demise of the man in the ICU was announced.
The number of those missing remains unclear, while many victims are yet to be identified making it difficult for authorities to ascertain the number missing people. The identification procedures are moving forward at a very slow pace, as it is extremely hard for the relatives to recognise the charred bodies. So far 43 bodies have been identified.
57 people are still in the ICU, the vast majority of which are burn victims.
- Ηard times for migratory birds
- Afghan teen stabbed and killed by young Afghan man in Moria hotspot
- Mt. Athos extends shut-down to visitors until April 20
- New shelter in Athens to offer decent living conditions for the homeless
- Orgy parties held in Greek houses amid pandemic, police special guards union president alleges