Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine will hold a "topping out ceremony," Monday, Nov. 28, 2016, at 12:30 p.m., at its construction site at Greenwich and Liberty Streets in New York City. This traditional ceremony marks the raising of the highest structural element during a project.
Archbishop Demetrios of America along with members of Saint Nicholas Church construction team and architects will be on hand to thank the dedicated workers and offer prayers for the continued construction process. A temporary cross will be lifted into place during Monday's ceremony and once construction is completed, it will be replaced with a permanent cross that will adorn the top of the Church as a welcome for all people.
The "topping out ceremony" marks an important milestone in the rebuilding efforts of Saint Nicholas Greek Orthodox Church and National Shrine. The original Saint Nicholas Church was completely destroyed in the collapse of World Trade Center Tower Two during the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
The significance of this National Shrine is exemplified by remarks in President Obama's major address in Athens on November 16, 2016: "And if anyone seeks an example of our shared spirit, our resilience, they need look no further than New York City, near Ground Zero, where the Greek Orthodox Church of Saint Nicholas, once in ruins, is now rising again."
- Archbishop Elpidoforos: Saint Nicholas and the Merriest of Christmases
- The message of Archbishop Elpidophoros of America on the Hagia Sophia
- Greek Church leaders’ “ultimatum” demanding reopening of Churches
- “Holy War” between Russian and Greek Orthodox Churches
- The Greek Orthodox Church celebrates Archangels
- Ανατολική Αττική: Η επόμενη μέρα της τραγωδίας - Tης Άννας Σαρηγιάννη
- The "Olive You" Campaign at the Fancy Food Show in New York
- Ελεύθερος με εγγύηση και υπό περιοριστικούς όρους ο Κ. Μπαρμπαρούσης
- Ο Semyon Bychkov στη Νέα Υόρκη
- Παμμακεδονική Αμερικής: "Σεβαστείτε την Ιστορία και τον πολιτισμό της Μακεδονίας"