EC Plans Nectarine & Peach Assistance Amendments
The European Commission has planned to amend its financial assistance, regarding Greek nectarine and peach production that is being negatively affected by Russia's EU embargo.
Previously, Greek Rural Development and Food Minister Giorgos Karasmanis had led negotiations regarding assistance, and urged the EC to determine its support by existing nectarine and peach production per nation, rather than on the amount of producers.
The European Commission issued a press release that stated, "the additional funding for peaches and nectarines is aimed primarily at withdrawals for free distribution, but will also cover withdrawals for 'other destinations (e.g. composting, non-food use, etc).' The legal text will be amended in the coming days to this effect. The budget for these measures is 29.7 million euros for withdrawals and 3 million euros for promotion, allocated to Italy, Spain, Greece and France on the basis of annual production."
- Greek inflation rate fell to 6.5% in February
- Anthony Blinken: The background to his visits to Greece and Turkey
- Economist: Greece rises 9 places in the "democracy index"
- IT: Record recruitment in the Greek market in 2023
- Weather: How the warm holidays in Greece relate to the "storm of the century" in the US