Maria Callas Play Premiers August 19th, Melbourne
Greek-Australian entertainer Maria Mercedes has just signed on to play opera great Maria Callas, in Terrence McNally's Tony Award winning play "Master Class".
As reported by Neos Kosmos, Mercedes stated of her new role: "Maria Callas is my dream role...and I couldn't be more thrilled to honour the life of a woman I admire not only for her incredible artistry and passion, but for the daring, honest way she lived her life".
"Master Class" will be performed on stage at fortyfivedownstairs in Melbourne, Australia and premiers in August. It showcases Maria Callas' life when she served as an instructor at NYC's Juilliard School of Music in 1971.
Artistic Director Cameron Lukey described, "At the time, Callas' career had drawn to a close, her voice a shadow of its former glory...Six years later, her death at the age of fifty-three sealed her legend as a real life tragic heroine".
The play begins on August 19th and run until the 28th. More information can be found at: http://www.hellenic.org.au/special-events and www.fortyfivedownstairs.com/events/.
- Australia's Greek diaspora welcomes plan to open GNTO office in Melbourne
- 'Open Horizons - Ancient Greek Journeys and Connections' exhibition inaugurated in Melbourne
- Monica Bellucci in Athens for three nights for play about Maria Callas
- Monica Bellucci at the "Herodion" interprets "Maria Callas: letters and memories"
- Monica Bellucci: I would like to buy a house in Paros ...