2014's initial Caretta-Caretta sea turtle nests were discovered early this week on Zakynthos.
Environmental Archelon Organization volunteers found the nest in the western region of Secania. It is expected that the first baby turtle hatchings will happen in fifty to sixty days.
According to reports, two additional pursuits were made by the turtles recently, to arrive onshore and nest up on the east side of the coast, but to no avail.
In 2013, there was a documented 3,456 nests that hatched 214,539 turtle babies. Archelon participants protected 2,532 of the nests, that resulted in 148,843 successful sea hatchings.
- Light quake jolts Zakynthos
- Coronavirus: Emergency measures announced for Achaia, Ilia and Zakynthos and dedicated Attica hospitals for virus treatment
- Greek tourism organization reacts to German labeling of Zakynthos beach as Turkish
- Eighteen year old raped on Zakynthos commits suicide
- Zakynthos: Women of Agala knit the village Christmas Tree (vid)