Former tourism minister Angela Gerekou, a one-time deputy with the PASOK party and later a Parliament deputy candidate with New Democracy (ND), has been appointed as the president of the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO), according to Tourism Minister Haris Theoharis.
Τhe previous GNTO president, Charalambos Karimalis, a long-time cadre and MP candidate with leftist SYRIZA party who was appointed in 2017, resigned over what he called "pro-junta" statements by the newly appointed tourism ministry general secretary, with "junta" in this case being the military dictatorship in Greece between 1967-1974.
Before politics Gerekou appeared in several films and local television productions, with a stint as a model, as well. She is also well-known in country for her marriage to iconic Greek singer Tolis Voskopoulos.
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China
- Incredible photos of longest cruise ship ever passing through Isthmus of Corinth (photos)
- PM Mitsotakis in Berlin: Greece, Germany to present green development plan in December
- Turkish Interior Minister threatens Europe – If we open borders 30,000 refugees a day would flood Europe
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Greek tourism organization reacts to German labeling of Zakynthos beach as Turkish
- Athens: Omonia square's makeover almost complete
- Greek Foreign Affairs Ministry on Erdogan: Illegality does not produce equity
- Commissioner Schinas: The European Commission will stand by Greece's regional authorities
- Ambassador Pyatt: 'US committed to Greece’s security, prosperity, and democracy'