Former tourism minister Angela Gerekou, a one-time deputy with the PASOK party and later a Parliament deputy candidate with New Democracy (ND), has been appointed as the president of the Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO), according to Tourism Minister Haris Theoharis.
Τhe previous GNTO president, Charalambos Karimalis, a long-time cadre and MP candidate with leftist SYRIZA party who was appointed in 2017, resigned over what he called "pro-junta" statements by the newly appointed tourism ministry general secretary, with "junta" in this case being the military dictatorship in Greece between 1967-1974.
Before politics Gerekou appeared in several films and local television productions, with a stint as a model, as well. She is also well-known in country for her marriage to iconic Greek singer Tolis Voskopoulos.
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China
- Incredible photos of longest cruise ship ever passing through Isthmus of Corinth (photos)
- PM Mitsotakis in Berlin: Greece, Germany to present green development plan in December
- Turkish Interior Minister threatens Europe – If we open borders 30,000 refugees a day would flood Europe
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Islands and mainland have same rights to EEZ, continental shelf says US State Dept spokesperson
- Pompeo's letter to PM Mitsotakis: Athens a key ally and crucial player in the Eastern Mediterranean (upd)
- Monica Bellucci to play Maria Callas in Athens theatre
- France-Greece alliance against Erdogan: Mitsotakis with Macron in Paris
- Ombudsman: Vaccination is a prerequisite for enrolling children in schools