Today, 1 April 2021, Greece assumed for one year the Presidency of the International Holocaust Remembrance Alliance (IHRA).
Taking over from the German Presidency of the IHRA, Greece is deeply committed to promoting the IHRA's work, which is key to keeping the memory of the Holocaust alive.
Due to the pandemic, the Presidency handover ceremony took place online and included addresses by Prime Minister Kyriakos Mitsotakis, Deputy Prime Minister Panagiotis Pikrammenos, Minister of Foreign Affairs Nikos Dendias, Education and Religious Affairs Minister Niki Kerameos, and Ambassador Christodoulos Lazaris, who will serve as the IHRA President.
The central theme of the Greek Presidency is “Teaching and learning about the Holocaust: Education for a world without genocide ever again”. In this context, a number of events will be held aiming to educate younger generations and society as a whole on what the Holocaust means, so that it is never again repeated.
It is worth mentioning that the Greek Presidency of the IHRA coincides with the bicentennial of the start of the Greek War of Independence and is an opportunity to promote the fact that modern Greece was built on humanitarian ideas and fundamental freedoms and that the Greek society is committed to remaining vigilant in the fight against racism and anti-Semitism and to preserving the memory of the victims of the Holocaust.
Watch the video of the Precidency handover ceremony.
- Think Silicon is designing the next Artificial Intelligence chip in Greece
- Delphi Economic Forum kicks off in Athens on Monday
- Mitsotakis-Tsipras disagreement regarding the vote right for Greeks abroad
- Tsitsipas beats Djokovic 2-1 in Shanghai Masters in China
- Incredible photos of longest cruise ship ever passing through Isthmus of Corinth (photos)
Latest from E.Tsiliopoulos
- Coronavirus: Alarm for the islands that are turning red – Committee meets
- Leipsoi: High occupancy this summer
- Scattered fire pockets still active, but situation at Stamata fire has improved
- Actor, director Petros Filipidis detained for alleged acts of sexual assault against fellow actors
- Greece's letter to UN: Turkish unilateral accusations about militarization of islands completely unfounded