The Hellenic Coast Guard and Police halted a total of 4,363 migrants attempting to cross into the nation, during the first four months of 2014.
This marks a 142% increase, in comparison to last year's timeframe, as reported by Kathimerini. As stated by the Coast Guard, a massive amount of migrants await on the Turkish coast, in order to travel to Greece or Italy by boat. Syrian refugees who are looking to enter Europe through Turkey, are concretely enlarging.
According to authorities, each traveler pays a 1,500 to 4,5000 euro smuggling fee to enter nations illegally. The Greek Coast Guard aims to heighten its armed forces, so that boats entering the waterways illegally can be better identified.
- Turkey raises tensions: Large military exercise in Mediterranean and Aegean with 87 ships, 27 aircraft
- Exploratory talks with with Turkish vessel Cesme in the Aegean!
- Athens demands: "Turkey should stop inflammatory rhetoric arson"
- PM Mitsotakis: Education ministry bill boldly responds to perennial problem of safety in universities
- War and Power in Classical Greece: Lessons for Superpowers and the World