The Hellenic Coast Guard and Police halted a total of 4,363 migrants attempting to cross into the nation, during the first four months of 2014.
This marks a 142% increase, in comparison to last year's timeframe, as reported by Kathimerini. As stated by the Coast Guard, a massive amount of migrants await on the Turkish coast, in order to travel to Greece or Italy by boat. Syrian refugees who are looking to enter Europe through Turkey, are concretely enlarging.
According to authorities, each traveler pays a 1,500 to 4,5000 euro smuggling fee to enter nations illegally. The Greek Coast Guard aims to heighten its armed forces, so that boats entering the waterways illegally can be better identified.
- ‘All you want is Greece’ this year’s tourism slogan for closely watched 2021 season
- More than eight-fold coverage for the new Greek 5-year bond
- Turkish defense minister once again threatens Greece
- Factors of flight and repatriation: The example of Greek Brain Drainers living in the United Kingdom
- WTCC: Greece is a global example of safe opening of tourism