The Hellenic Coast Guard and Police halted a total of 4,363 migrants attempting to cross into the nation, during the first four months of 2014.
This marks a 142% increase, in comparison to last year's timeframe, as reported by Kathimerini. As stated by the Coast Guard, a massive amount of migrants await on the Turkish coast, in order to travel to Greece or Italy by boat. Syrian refugees who are looking to enter Europe through Turkey, are concretely enlarging.
According to authorities, each traveler pays a 1,500 to 4,5000 euro smuggling fee to enter nations illegally. The Greek Coast Guard aims to heighten its armed forces, so that boats entering the waterways illegally can be better identified.
- Greece edging to exploratory talks with Turkey
- SYRIZA Youth: The new generation does not need more army and more armament programs
- Turkish official: "Greece must evacuate 9 islands and give them to Turkey"
- Washington Examiner: US considers leaving Incirlik and "sees" alternative in Greece
- MED7: Severe message to Turkey from Corsica - "Pax Mediterranea", says Macron