In a recent study, the World Health Organization found that about 10.3 liters of alcohol – which equate to about 14 bottles of wine – are consumed daily by Greek citizens.
Thirty three percent of young adults in the country, aged between 13 and 19, report to drinking alcoholic beverages at least twice a week. These teenagers prefer drinking wine and "hard" drinks, such as vodka and whiskey, over beer and other soft "alco-pop" drinks at a rate of about 3 to 1.
The study was researching alcohol's effect on mortality rates, and found that approximately 3.3 million deaths yearly are caused by the harmful use of alcohol. Most often a result of alcohol-related diseases, such as liver cirrhosis and certain cancers, the number of deaths caused by the consumption of alcohol has increased in the past few years.
The study recorded that about 16% of drinkers worldwide participate in "binge drinking," or the consumption of an excessive amount of alcohol in a short period of time; this form of drinking, in which the goal is to get intoxicated as quickly as possible, is most harmful to health.
"More needs to be done to protect populations from the negative health consequences of alcohol consumption," says Dr Oleg Chestnov, WHO Assistant Director-General for Noncommunicable Diseases and Mental Health. "The report clearly shows that there is no room for complacency when it comes to reducing the harmful use of alcohol."
The World Health Organization urges people to drink responsibly, with the hope that more moderated drinking will reduce the risks posed by drinking excessively.
- Mitsotakis-Modi decide to double bilateral trade and deepen strategic relationship between Greece and India
- Climate Change: Greece's performance - Doing well, could do better
- Mitsotakis welcomes Swedish NATO accession; meeting with Albania’s Rama, refers to pending contacts with Erdogan
- The chef who cooked on Obama's cruise to the Greek islands
- Building vertical Central – SE Europe natural gas corridor
- Ανατολική Αττική: Η επόμενη μέρα της τραγωδίας - Tης Άννας Σαρηγιάννη
- The "Olive You" Campaign at the Fancy Food Show in New York
- Ελεύθερος με εγγύηση και υπό περιοριστικούς όρους ο Κ. Μπαρμπαρούσης
- Ο Semyon Bychkov στη Νέα Υόρκη
- Παμμακεδονική Αμερικής: "Σεβαστείτε την Ιστορία και τον πολιτισμό της Μακεδονίας"