Cypriot TV and restaurant chef Maria Elia, is currently running the new California and Greek-themed Jimmy's at The Landing Resort & Spa, in Lake Tahoe, CA.
Her publishing, Full of Flavor offers kitchen strategies implemented at Jimmy's, while her latest book Smashing Plates, is a tribute to her Greek Cypriot heritage.
Elia's eclectic recipes include gnocchi sprinkled with Kalamata lives, dill and lemon braised lava beans, and a seafood-sausage paella complete with feta, dill and saffron. A primary theme in her most recent cookbook infuses tomatoes and green beans in many dishes. Both culinary books have garnered rave reviews.
Jimmy's owner Jim Demetriades explained his selection of Elia to oversee his fine dinning restaurant because, "We brought [Maria Elia] to the U.S. to open Jimmy's Restaurant at The Landing because we think she ranks as one of the top Greek chefs in the world". The owner conducted a 6-month search to find the best culinary expert out there.
The 5-star restaurant proprietor added, "We were determined to provide our guests with some of the best Mediterranean cuisine in America, and while we were impressed with Maria Elia's real-world experience as a chef, as well as her philosophies of cuisine and visibility as a food personality, it was her food that ultimately won us over". The Greek Cypriot chef is famous for her modern take on traditional Hellenic dishes.
- PM: 'Greece has prepared a set of possible restrictive measures if Turkey returns to an aggressive attitude towards Greece & Cyprus'
- Strong earthquake over 6 Richter in Cyprus
- Harsh retort from Athens to threats from Ankara
- Message to Ankara from Greece, Egypt and Cyprus
- FM Dendias: We build bridges of stability when other countries try to revive old empires