Athens International Airport received over 6 million travelers between January to May of this year, as confirmed by its recent analysis.
This marks the largest number of passengers that Eleftherios Venizelos Airport has ever hosted, since its establishment. The increase carried on in May and totaled 22.3%, in comparison to last year's same timeframe, amounting to 1.65 million flyers.
The majority of travelers were flying internationally, marking 1.07 million individuals. Greek passengers rose by 15% and non-Greek travelers enlarged to 28%, compared to a year earlier.
The major factor contributing to the increase is the enlarged amount of total flights available to and from the nation's capital, as reported by Kathimerini.
- Coronavirus: 5 positive samples in travelers - Alarm for a Swede positive for the virus who took walks in Athens
- Spectacular arrest of members of a foreign criminal organization for robberies, thefts and drugs (vid)
- Athens closed off to cars for three months
- Greek police find over 2kg of cocaine in stolen car in Athens
- The Athens urban development plan offering a new experience to citizens and tourists